Treasure Island contamination Zones are well within the city of San Francisco, including City Hall which is just within the 4 mile limit of TI. Ground water and air contamination zones go out from the source to four miles from the site. This applies to all toxic waste sites. For each mile marker there is a separate level of contamination depending on its type and source. The people of San Francisco are directly affected by the Atomic, Biological and Chemical Warfare training on Treasure Island.
For some strange reason the State of California allows people to build on toxic waste sites and they seem to limit the borders of the contamination to the property line of the site of the contamination. But under Federal Law, 40 CFR Appendix A to Part 300 – The Hazard Ranking System which is used to determine if a site is subject to Superfund status, the range of contamination goes out to various distances from the exact contamination site.
This means that most of silicon Valley is in huge trouble as they not only have large areas of contamination, the distances of risk encompass most of the land area. the problem is far larger than the fence line of your property! There are various distances listed in the law: 40 CFR Appendix A to Part 300 – The Hazard Ranking System
200 Feet from the exact site of contamination –
Note at Treasure Island residents live on the sites, Either directly over the contamination or adjacent to it.
- “5.1.1 Resident population threat. Evaluate the resident population threat only if there is an area of observed contamination in one or more of the following locations:
- Within the property boundary of a residence, school, or day care center and within 200 feet of the respective residence, school, or day care center, or
- Within a workplace property boundary and within 200 feet of a workplace area, or
- Within the boundaries of a resource specified in section 18.104.22.168.4, or Within the boundaries of a terrestrial sensitive environment specified in section 22.214.171.124.5.
- If not, assign the resident population threat a value of 0, enter this value in Table 5-1, and proceed to the nearby population threat (section 5.1.2).”
Quarter of a Mile from the exact site of contamination – Level I Contamination –
Which means all of the housing at TI. The calculation includes the number of residents within this distance. Under these regulations, the current residents need to be evacuated.
Quarter of a mile to 1 Mile from the exact site of contamination – Level II Contamination –
Everyone on Treasure Island. If Treasure Island is developed the 21000 people within this distance will increase the risk by a factor of 10 where if any radiation or chemical contamination is found on the site, it will require a total evacuation until the site is remediated. The Board of Supervisors (BOS) will have to face an immediate and emergency evacuation of Treasure Island are they prepared? did anyone mention this to the BOS?
3 Miles from exact site of Contamination –
This covers most of the Business district of San Francisco. Applies to Groundwater and Air contamination
4 Miles air and Groundwater Contamination –
All the way to City Hall from Treasure Isand – Applies to Groundwater and Air contamination See notes belowContinue reading “Downtown San Francisco within Contamination Range of Treasure Island Atomic, Biological and Chemical Warfare training sites”