The USS Pandemonium 1 was a mock up of a ship placed on the grounds of Treasure Island to train sailors in chemical, biological and radiological decontamination. ABC Warfare Defense (Atomic, Biological, Chemical) is a course taught at Treasure Island and in other training centers and I will place the link to the courses here.
The instructors would place a radioactive target, and/or a biological sample and/or a toxic chemical on the ship and the sailors would train by first identifying the target and then remove it off the ship usually by using fire-hoses to wash it off and/ or by scrubbing the radioactivity and chemicals right off the ship.
For instance Lewisite which is mostly Arsenic was a chemical described in the training manual ABC Warfare Defense and the Navy found an enormous amount of it on the same site, (see the overhead map below, that they tried to remove last year at the site hence the dirt in the field. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/osu.32435011833688?urlappend=%3Bseq=52
So we know they were using chemicals on the site, dangerous chemicals. We also know that 1280 radioactive objects and aircraft carrier radioactive deck markers and radium dials have also been found on the island, most in this general area and under the housing found at the north end which is where they disposed of waste in trenches. Under the housing where people live to this day! Media silent as Navy digs 1,280 radiological objects from Treasure Island Navy Base
Google Map Note, the cracks in the concrete, which just so happens to match up with the location on the map of the Ship used for Atomic, Biological and chemical warfare training.
- See also:
- TI-ATOMIC AND CHEMICAL TRAINING IN THE SAN FRANCISCO AREA 1951
- TI-Atomic, Biological and Chemical Training on USS Pandemonium Dec 1956 Naval Training Bulletin
- TI-The Smoking Gun – Chemical Warfare test at Treasure Island Navy evaluates methods use to clean up Mustard Gas
- TI-The Evolution of the USS Pandemonium, US Navy Medical News Letter, 1/03/1957
- 1953- Biological Warfare Training Manual at Treasure Island, San Francisco CA